Sabers

Ricky

Executive
JvS Staff
My potato smile has turned into potato frown of complete disappointment. The saber forms are globally accepted as in a very shaky state by a decently vocal majority, but yet I feel there is little progress. On top of that, the unrefined abilities like Force Choke that certain members(Not singling him out here just merely and example of my experience) Anura for example as Blade of the Order can force choke any and just hold them there, with no counter as all nearby teammates slash and shoot the force choked person. By the time the force choke is cancelled or the user runs out of force, they fall right intron of the user, which in most cases is a high ranking force user who can most time just one-shot them. I acknowledge that the choke is to make up for a 'broken' stasis, but i firmly believe that stasis is in a good state currently.
Back to the main point, as I personally have heard from numerous people, saber combat is simply no longer enjoyable, as it is now extremely clunky and glitchy with many errors, especially regarding the parrying system that weren't there in past iterations of Reborn's saber combat. I understand the appeal and intentions of a slower combat system, which was meant to be curated for a singular ideal of how the new server combat would go. However, there very little 'beta testing' for these forms to be viable when compared to the amount of dedication and testing that has gone into the WiltOs forms, that have been tried and proven to be excellent. Even the customizations that have been made in past iterations have received much more attention when it came to their development.
At the end of the day, this is the perspective of a player, who has observed a lot of this from a majority of players throughout the server. As someone who came over just weeks after Reborn first made a JvS server in the wake of the founders' departure from Undead, I would like to think that my opinion might count for something as I know many people in the community are just as much of a veteran as I, and am sure they would like to think the same about their own opinions.

Ricky

Executive
JvS Staff
When someone once asked me, Hey, where the problem at? i think this was my answer

Ronnie

Owner
I am definitely watching Saber Forms; however, I am of the belief that the meta has not developed enough yet to say that the forms are in a shaky state.
There are a number of forms that I find are being underused or may not be utilized to their full extent.
These forms were designed in response to the old ones to each work better with each other, each able to contest each other depending on the circumstance and the relative skill level of each player, and each to have their own niches that people will be able to find.
There was a lot of beta testing for these, days and weeks that we dedicated with a number of people of various skill levels.
Aggression, for example, since launch has been called out for being overpowered, when during beta testing it was one of the weaker ones.
Force Powers are a work in progress, and we're presently working on them, with the idea being that they're more fun and more balanced than in any other edition of Reborn or SWRP.
Once we see more of a solid meta develop, i.e., people finding their niches with some of the new, more different forms, and others adapt to those changes, I'll start working on fine-tuning and/or revamping the forms.
Finally, there are some issues that are out of our control that somehow reappeared on the dev server, like the parry issues and the animations not playing.
I will definitely ensure that these are fixed as soon as possible!
Thank you!

Ricky

Executive
JvS Staff
I am definitely watching Saber Forms; however, I am of the belief that the meta has not developed enough yet to say that the forms are in a shaky state.
There are a number of forms that I find are being underused or may not be utilized to their full extent.
These forms were designed in response to the old ones to each work better with each other, each able to contest each other depending on the circumstance and the relative skill level of each player, and each to have their own niches that people will be able to find.
There was a lot of beta testing for these, days and weeks that we dedicated with a number of people of various skill levels.
Aggression, for example, since launch has been called out for being overpowered, when during beta testing it was one of the weaker ones.
Force Powers are a work in progress, and we're presently working on them, with the idea being that they're more fun and more balanced than in any other edition of Reborn or SWRP.
Once we see more of a solid meta develop, i.e., people finding their niches with some of the new, more different forms, and others adapt to those changes, I'll start working on fine-tuning and/or revamping the forms.
Finally, there are some issues that are out of our control that somehow reappeared on the dev server, like the parry issues and the animations not playing.
I will definitely ensure that these are fixed as soon as possible!
Thank you!
My only real 'counter-argument' which really isnt even a counter argument its just a point I forgot to make that your first couple sentences reminded me. Otherwise everything else is exactly what I expected to read in a response. Your point of there not being a meta yet, because there are only a couple saber forms that are being used. That is the meta. There are a total of 2-3 actually remotely viable forms right now, and even then out of the people who use contention right now, Ive yet to hear someone who actually likes how the heavy and a couple of the lights work, its just more viable than the rest.
But thats just the final point that I forgot to make at 2am when I randomly decided to make this post, and I greatly appreciate your response.

Ronnie

Owner
The reason I say that a meta hasn’t been formed yet is because most of those forms are the ones that are similar to the old ones. Forms like Ferocity or Perseverance are totally new and I think we’ll see more of them as time goes on. If I’m wrong it’s fine because we’ll work on them but I think we just need to give it some more time.

Cruen

yes
The reason I say that a meta hasn’t been formed yet is because most of those forms are the ones that are similar to the old ones. Forms like Ferocity or Perseverance are totally new and I think we’ll see more of them as time goes on. If I’m wrong it’s fine because we’ll work on them but I think we just need to give it some more time.
How much time would we need until we're at a position where the community can vote to bring back old saber forms

Ronnie

Owner
We won't be bringing back the old saber forms exactly how they were, and community votes are not the right way to go about things like that anyway.

Like I said in my other post, once we get the new Force Powers out, and we start seeing people using some of these other forms which are very viable once experimented with, we'll start refining or reworking them.

Ricky

Executive
JvS Staff
We won't be bringing back the old saber forms exactly how they were, and community votes are not the right way to go about things like that anyway.

Like I said in my other post, once we get the new Force Powers out, and we start seeing people using some of these other forms which are very viable once experimented with, we'll start refining or reworking them.

The force powers, are also the problem here. I a 2k hp lord, can get force choked by an apprentice and get oneshot without actually fighting back. I also feel that community votes are the right way to approach this. The votes dont necessarily have to be to force the change, they can be to see where the majority is.