Ingame Name(s) - Ward
Server Playtime - 2 days
Garry’s Mod Playtime - 511 hours
Warn Count - 0
Age - 29

Relevant Experience
Servers - Adamant Gaming CWRP / Various JK3: Jedi Academy RP servers
Roles -

Other- Tabletop RPG experience as a game master.

QUESTIONNAIRE
The Gamemaster role requires creativity, knowledge, and most of all, vision.
Answer these questions as best you can to demonstrate these attributes.
Minimum effort will not be tolerated.

What is your level of experience with Garry’s Mod construction and tools?

Back in the day I used to do a lot of building with Gmod tools. As far as how it relates to RP; I think less is more. Some building is fine to convey general ideas but I've found that the more you leave up to player imagination, the more memorable of an experience it is. I will say that I will probably need training in the admin commands that come with the new Reborn script.

Why do you want to become a Gamemaster?

I was pleasantly surprised that there seems to be a call for more RP-related events or passive RP events among the players of the community. When I was on the server last night, it seemed like there was a huge interest in some sort of investigation RP that was taking place at the Sith temple. Anyone who knows me knows that I am complete garbage at the PvP aspects of JvS. By becoming a Gamemaster, I hope to extend the olive branch to players in a similar situation to myself or those that would be interested in missions that tend to stray away from pure combat. It would be interested in bringing opportunities for diplomacy, research, and humanitarian efforts to the Jedi... and perhaps subterfuge, politicking, and assassinations to the Sith.

Why should the community support your application, and what makes you more qualified than other players?

Here's the difficult sell. Obviously I am new to the community and understand if that gives some reluctance on lending support to this application. However, I am encouraged to even post this in the first place because I have received numerous compliments from my fellow Jedi RPers and leaders within the community on the quality of my role play. (Hey, if you can't be good at dueling you've got to be good at something, huh?)

While I wouldn't claim it makes me more qualified than other players, I find that in all my experiences in RP communities I tend to derive more enjoyment for generating scenarios for other people. Ultimately, my goal is to ensure that other folks have fun. And I have a few ideas on how to do that with an ear to what people seem to be calling for.

Have you ever assisted in an event on Reborn in the past?

Not yet.

How well could you adapt to unplanned circumstances in something you have planned?

We all play in this community for fun, at the end of the day. As I said earlier, I derive a lot of enjoyment out of being in a role that allows me to provide content for others. A large part of the fun of being a game master is the uncertainty of how your players are going to handle a situation. A lot of solutions that players come up with are usually very creative and its fun to see people think of their feet in response to the ball you pitch them. Unplanned circumstances is an inevitability. This is why I try to tend to write things in a rough outline so as not to railroad the players and leave it malleable enough to respond to unanticipated solutions or actions that the involved players may pose. Long story short, it's more fun to toss out a scenario and moderate how it plays out than to death march your poor players through your fanfic script.

What interests you most in the Star Wars universe?

Star Wars, in its basic form, has always been about the dichotomy of Light versus Dark. At least, at the movies for the general audience. As players coming up with our own stories, it gives us a chance to really explore the gray areas especially in a such a unique era as Jedi vs. Sith. The thing that interests me most about this era of Star Wars is the ability to really pull the thread on the sweater of a peaceable Jedi Order being forced to engage in a violent war against and unrelenting enemy. Wars breed violence and violence can threaten even the most devout Jedi with temptations of Darkness. And the Sith? An undeniably powerful entity that's encountered the sudden realization that brute strength may not be enough to conquer the Galaxy as they are the unstoppable force but the Jedi are the immovable object. Do they have the will to explore other options to bending the Galaxy to their whim? To become a scalpel rather than a hammer?

Now, taking what most interests you, craft a high-quality multi-part storyline (with characters, branches, anything that you see fit) that you could create multiple events from. If your application is accepted, you will be required to start a multi-event storyline as part of your trial. It is recommended that this be the first draft of that storyline.

This is an event I would like to run someday, but I understand you have to read it to review it so... spoiler alert? As stated earlier, I try to keep these relegated to rough outlines so as to be more open to the latter events being affected by player actions.

Event/Day 1

The Council has received reports from Vanguard scouts that there is a smuggler type on Tatooine with the alleged connections or abilities to somehow smuggle Sith artifacts off of Korriban through Dreshdae spaceport. Currently, he is delivering them to affluent collectors closer to the Core Worlds, who are enticed by the taboo of owning such dark relics and are willing to pay exorbitant fees for such adornments to their private-most display rooms.

This is however an amazing opportunity for the Jedi, if they can broker a deal with this smuggler, they can both cut down on the flow of artifacts making their way from the Sith homeworld out into the Galaxy and see what kinds of things are being unearthed from the malicious planet. It is up to the Council on how they wish to proceed but I assume they'll dispatch people to ask around Tatooine as to the whereabouts of the smuggler.

This will just be a quick investigation RP, nothing really to it. Think I'll give 'em the description of the smuggler's ship and they will be able to locate it in the spaceport and determine who it is registered to either through persuading the dock master or distracting them while poking around on a console. They eventually find the location of a person of interest's home. Going to their doorstep, it'll be up to the Jedi players on how they broach the subject with the potential smuggler. Of course he'll deny any involvement at first, not wanting to get into trouble. If the Jedi assert that they are here to help/don't want to punish him, he may be willing to cut them in on some kind of deal on the condition that he gets the local Hutt lord to grant him an extension on some peggats he owes. Presumably the planet side Jedi will travel up to the Hutt palace and engage in whatever negotiation is necessary. If I get the sense that they're a more combat oriented player and their interest is starting to fade, I may have the Hutt grant the debt extension on the condition that the player eliminate some nearby monster that has been harrying his henchman.

Eventually I figure that the Jedi will successfully broker the arrangement with the Smuggler. They may even bring him back to Tython initially, detaining him, but that will make garnering his cooperation a whole lot more difficult.

Once cooperation is somehow gained, the smuggler will advise that the next shipment will come in some time. (AKA until event #2)

Meanwhile...

During their dark studies in the Holocron vault, a Sith Lord interacts with one of the gatekeepers of said information laden pyramids. A gatekeeper image converses with the Dark Lord, asking their opinions about the Sith code. I am certain the Lord will provide a worthwhile response to this line of questioning and will seemingly access a thread of the Holocron not previously activated. It will be revealed that this Holocron was woven by one of the apprentices of Naga Sadow. The Gatekeeper, the remaining image of the apprentice, will remark on how he used his Master's grave site as a stockpile of his own personal artifacts, commenting on how sentiment and superstition will keep weaklings from ever unearthing them for fear of incurring a long dead Sith Lord's wrath. Ridiculous. (Or is it?)

Revealing that there could be invaluable artifacts hidden away in the tomb, the Lord may delegate the task of finding them to lower ranking Sith. The assigned Sith with enter the tomb and peruse its halls. Depending on who is allocated or how many, I may have some defenses activate specifically targeting Force Users who dare break into Lord Sadow's resting place. After likely destroying these illusionary defenders, the Sith will continue into the tomb and discover that they are not alone. They can hear a voice echoing from ahead. They will discover what looks to be an ordinary citizen of Dreshdae poking around the tomb, speaking with an unknown person on a commlink.

It's up to them how they approach this individual. Do they tail him to figure out what he's doing? Confront him to immediately take him into custody? Or summarily execute him?

Tailed - They'll discover that this individual is stealing artifacts from the tomb, which may prompt them to proceed to either kill or capture. If not, then they'll follow the individual to what looks to be a secret passage to the Korriban surface and eventually toward where he would leave an artifact at what looks to be a stash in Dreshdae spaceport.

Captured - And presumably... persuaded. The grave robber will reveal that he receives credits for breaking into the tombs across Korriban and leaves the artifacts at the designated spot. His payment is left in said spot days later along with a new burner commlink where he can receive instructions. See "killed" for commlink investigation.

Killed - If the Sith in the tomb simply kill the intruder, they will have his personal effects to follow up on. The most notable of which is the commlink from which the intruder was receiving instructions. A tech savvy Sith may be able to triangulate where the instructions were being broadcast from and that will indicate that it was from a ship in orbit. Quick cross-referencing with the Korriban flight control zone logs will reveal the registry of the offending ship. One of the Sith Empire's very own cargo freighters. It will take time (until event #2) to determine it's last known location.

Event/Day 2
(Designed to fulfill apparent desire for increased Trooper v. Trooper events, Day 2 will occur when it appears that there are a fair amount of troopers active for both factions.)

Stationed at the most backwater air-defense battery in the Galaxy sure is boring. Until it isn't. A contingent of Republic Troopers will be dispatched to supplement the forces at said outpost on Kashyyyk. They will be given time to customize the base according to their defensive desires. Once complete, they will be made away that a freighter belonging to the Sith Empire has entered range. The staff appears alarmed and incompetent. They don't usually see action from the war. When asked why they don't just shoot it down, it's because their gunner is out sick and no one else really knows how to operate the ion cannon batteries.

To make up for the pure incompetence, a trooper has to take over and attempt to operate the ion cannon in order to shoot down the freighter. I have a brief little minigame idea planned for the trooper but I assume they'll be successful in shooting it down!

It will then be the Troopers job to roll out and locate the crash site of the vessel and capture any of the crew and appropriate all of the freighter's supplies in the name of the Republic. Think it'd be cool to have the freighter land underneath the lake on Kashyyyk but I'm not sure if drowning is enabled so scuba-troopers RP may be out. If so it will just crash near the lake in the trees.

During their investigation, the Troopers will discover that not only is the freighter devoid of crew, but also appears to have no cargo. They can pull the flight recorder black box but they'll have to return it to the base on top of the hill, plugging it into a terminal, to get any data out of it.

It will be discovered that the sole crew member of the vessel made his way away from the crash site on foot. It is conceivably possible that the Troopers could track him through the trees. Unknown if they'll do that but if they do follow him, they'll see that he stumbled into a network of caves reputed to be "haunted" and will be subtly, or perhaps not so subtly encouraged to wait for Jedi support before going into the caves. (AKA Day 3's events.)

Meanwhile...

Thanks to the investigations on (Day/Event 1) it will be revealed that the offending freighter made its way on an outbound vector toward Kashyyyk. Then, when reaching the planet, it's transponder suspiciously deactivated. Suspecting that the artifact thief's airborne accomplice disabled the device to make a getaway, the Sith will dispatch the nearest squad of Imperial Troopers to investigate.

Arriving in orbit, it will be discovered that the residual ionic interference is consistent with ion cannon fallout. Leading the Troopers to believe that their culprit vessel may have been shot down and made a landing on the planet's surface. A high enough roll or something on the sensor sweep may show an ion trail leading directly to the crash site, showing it to be on near the lake.

The Troopers will set down on the planet to investigate but will be aware that there is a Republic presence on the world so they will have to be cautious, or be ready to engage in a firefight. Provided they make it safely to the crash site, they will discover the same things that their enemy troopers did. No crew present and no cargo. However the lack of cargo will likely be less surprising to the Sith since they're aware that this is the suspected artifact smuggler.

Once again, it is conceivably possible that the Troopers could track the crew member through the trees. Unknown if they'll do that but if they do follow him, they'll see that he stumbled into a network of caves reputed to be "haunted" and will be subtly, or perhaps not so subtly encouraged to wait for Sith support before going into the caves. (AKA Event #3)

Finally,

Apart from any minor skirmishes that occur when the Sith Troopers appear on planet to investigate the crash site, it will be concluded that the Sith will have to take this nearby ion cannon battery from the Republic in order to safely call in reinforcements. The Republic Troopers will have to defend it.

It is really up to the two sides on how this attack goes, but there will be no help... or interference from Jedi Knights or Sith Lords. This is pure Trooper v. Trooper action. I expect to moderate this in a best-two-out-of-three manner. This will kind of replicate the two-life raid rule. However, this will be handled in round-based waves rather than life limits. Once all of the troopers on the other side are eliminated, that is considered a win.

The faction that emerges victorious will have direct benefits in Event #3.

Event/Day 3

It has become apparent (From Event #2) that major military action is afoot on Kashyyyk. Both factions will now deploy their full strength to the planet. In order to abridge this into a single event, the players will participate in a single "battle."

Before the Jedi deploy, and if they haven't figured it out already, the Smuggler they encountered on Tatooine will inform them that Kashyyyk was a typical layover destination for his contact's ship before they met in deep space. Visions through the Force will also be imparted to each respective faction leader. Visions of the cave beneath Kashyyyk's surface. The real reason for the battle.

Essentially, this is all being done so that the final confrontation will be between the Jedi and Sith in the cave beneath Kashyyyk. (The extensive ones on Endor will be used, but it will be roleplayed as Kashyyyk). The caves are dark, claustrophobic, and extensive, and should make for an intense bout. This combat will follow the two-life raid rules. However, with two modifiers depending on outcomes of Event #2.

1. Whichever faction was victorious in Event #2 will get an extra life in the final confrontation, to replicate the ion cannon battery shooting down a number of enemy ships before they can make planetfall.
  2. If one of the factions' troopers bothered to track the mission crewman to the cave but not the other, that faction will get 30 seconds of grace to enter and set up in the cave before the other faction is allowed to enter.

The faction that is defeated will be asked to pull from the planet. The one that remains will occupy the cave and, now that they don't have an enemy to worry about, are able to easy scour the cave and locate the mission crew member. The crew member is badly injured and has the stolen artifact in their possession. Whichever faction emerges victorious can recover the artifact and do what they please with the crew member. Perhaps leading to additional events down the line...

USER-ADMINISTRATIVE AGREEMENT
By signing my name in the box provided below, I hereby state that I have read and fully understand all of requirements and expectations placed on our staff members, including, but not limited to:
Suspension/demotion due to inactivity, abuse, or neglect of the responsibilities placed on Gamemasters.
[ /s/ Ward ]

USER PERMISSION CLAUSE
By signing my name in the box provided below, I hereby state that I, Ward, have permission from Ronnie to make my application, either via forum private message, steam, or in-game.
I also acknowledge that if I am lying about my permission, that I will be denied the right to apply for any Reborn staff position in the future.
[ /s/ Ward ]

Bishop

+2
I like the event Idea it seems to have a running story and seems to be able to keep people busy and thinking. One thing I remember reading is that you normally only have a rough draft of a story. If something unexpected happens in this rough draft of a story it is able to kind of throw everything off track and can be difficult to put it back on. What Im trying to say is you want the whole story set out and how its gonna go depending on what happens. Not something that can derail and you're just prepared you want to make sure that it can always go different directions and still stay on the same story (which is what you did in the explanation of the event.) it is good to have something the players can make up by themselves but thats not the best thing for all events. Still gets a +2 tho I would love to see this event and others in action by you. Also I would like to see some more activity from you.

Last edited:

Nabe

It is what it is
Founder
+1
I like the event Idea it seems to have a running story and seems to be able to keep people busy and thinking. One thing I remember reading is that you normally only have a rough draft of a story. If something unexpected happens in this rough draft of a story it is able to kind of throw everything off track and can be difficult to put it back on. What Im trying to say is you want the whole story set out and how its gonna go depending on what happens. Not something that can derail and you're just prepared you want to make sure that it can always go different directions and still stay on the same story (which is what you did in the explanation of the event.) it is good to have something the players can make up by themselves but thats not the best thing for all events. Still gets a +1 tho I would love to see this event and others in action by you. Also I would like to see some more activity from you.
You have a +3 capability btw.

I'll give this a solid +10.

+1 Really like the application, but did not read the event part due to well spoilers XD. Hopefully i will get the chance to experience it, if i am on at the time. He might be new to the community but everyone gotta get a chance in my book.

Ward

Senior Gamemaster
Thanks Jar Jar, I hope you get to participate in it someday too!

I appreciate you being willing to give me a shot even though I'm new to this community. I won't let you down!

+1
very cohesive story with interesting gameplay elements, would love to see this type of stuff on the GM team

Ronnie

Owner
| ACCEPTED |
Contact an Admin to get your rank in game, and speak to the Senior Gamemasters to get started!

Status
Not open for further replies.