With the resurgence of the server, why not bring back spies?

Imagine this; Three new Padawans come to the Jedi Temple one day, they spend weeks training up to become official Jedi Masters, working hard in their orgs, and eventually their efforts are noticed by the council and, one by one, they all begin to get placed on the Jedi Council to help their order best.
Once things start getting tough, the Grandmaster decides it is best to step down and let a new person take up the mantle to lead the order to further greatness. One of those three padawans that came to the temple all that time ago is nominated, and by just enough votes, manages to take the position of Grandmaster of the Jedi Order.
Then, as he takes it, he brings in complete chaos, allowing all sith permission to warp freely to Tython, stating no Jedi are allowed to attack the sith as they're massacred by the dozens. The Jedi that fight back are considered traitors, and are treated as such. Once that time has passed, the Grandmaster wipes the council, then resigns from his throne, and returns to his home, the same home the other two padawans are from, and the home that they all will return to as heroes; Korriban.

This narrative cannot happen in the current state of Reborn Gaming. There's too many anti-powergaming going on, not enough rp, yadda yadda yadda you've heard all of that so many times before.

What I propose is a reintroduction of spies, but not limited by the rules of the server. A lift on the ban of spies being allowed in leader/council positions on factions. It adds an extra layer of uncertainty and suspicion revolving around players entering new factions, and adds an interesting route for a faction to go down in the event that the narrative listed above becomes a reality; What if a Sith Lord did take control of the Jedi Order? Naturally the response after the chaos is that a new order would be formed after the destruction, an order more reactionary, or perhaps more wise, depending on who stepped into the power vacuum.

I have some ideas on how to keep it restricted, but still existing. Below I will list the ideas I've come up with:

1: Limit spies in orders to one spy per faction. This allows the orders to not get completely clustered with spies, yet still allows the feature to continue.

2: Remove this line from the rules - "[x] Jedi council AND dark council can not RP as a spy or do any spy activity, those found doing so will be punished"

3: Only Dark Council/Jedi Council/Eternal Council can send out spies, and they have to get permission from one of the staff members in charge of handling such a thing.

These are the main ideas I've come up with for how to get this added and how to make it work, if you have more suggestions please comment and let it be known. This is such a cool idea that I wish could be expanded upon more, perhaps with this addition you can bring back the semi-powergaming of truth serums and certain other alchemical potions.

If we had a spy become Grandmaster and they intentionally made it so Sith could come to Tython and kill every Jedi they see without a chance of fighting back I think the server would die for real. Voting off a GM is a real pain and if the Grandmaster just demotes every Master then nobody can call the vote. I think it's interesting, but there 100% should be limitations on how far they can go.

If we had a spy become Grandmaster and they intentionally made it so Sith could come to Tython and kill every Jedi they see without a chance of fighting back I think the server would die for real. Voting off a GM is a real pain and if the Grandmaster just demotes every Master then nobody can call the vote. I think it's interesting, but there 100% should be limitations on how far they can go.
For sure, the scenario I brought up is highly unlikely to happen, and it would probably be a complete fiesta if it did happen, restrictions for sure should be in place but thats also why I propose spies be limited to only one per faction and staff has to be cool with it, as well as the councils. It's a really interesting concept whose roots are already in place, but for some reason it has yet to be tended to and allowed to express its full potential.

Thats why we have the rule
[x] Jedi council AND dark council can not RP as a spy or do any spy activity, those found doing so will be punished

I mean I am pretty split on it because at the same time I understand people want to be spies but at the same time I hate being paranoid on council and its just another stressful thing for faction leaders. -1

Spectre8105

I think this would have to get held back until all 3 councils are in stable positions (I don't play but I get @'d so many fucking times about how much y'all change your god damn councils). And even then there's like nothing to really spy on, you going to tell the sith the new master trial requirements or something lmao

Eros

Back When Reborn Was Good
VIP
I think the idea is cool. But as Mr Dickolas said, players on Jedi would not enjoy it. A much lower scale of spying could be pretty cool, but for the most part that already exists. As EE I paid multiple Jedi to give me information on raids or in one case I paid a JC to know what exactly happened in one of their meetings. Spies are more useful on the Sith side of things, but they're much harder to come by with the whole PK Order and Exile thing existing.

Rightpop

I think the idea is cool. But as Mr Dickolas said, players on Jedi would not enjoy it. A much lower scale of spying could be pretty cool, but for the most part that already exists. As EE I paid multiple Jedi to give me information on raids or in one case I paid a JC to know what exactly happened in one of their meetings. Spies are more useful on the Sith side of things, but they're much harder to come by with the whole PK Order and Exile thing existing.
Maybe for spies just send a person to a faction world them have the sit from afar looking at what they are doing the comms it in then leave.

Okeas

VIP
Maybe for spies just send a person to a faction world them have the sit from afar looking at what they are doing the comms it in then leave.
That’s already a thing but since people use mic and short range typing it’s not very effective. Spies have always been fun to work with but I believe that they are possible right now it’s just no one wants to figure out how to do it right.

Shade Tano

im a jedi master i just deny the demotion because i low key wanna be a grey

Shade Tano

and im letting you know a good spy wouldn't be found. im telling you their are spies for all factions

Last edited: